Embark on an exciting journey to discover the timeless history and beauty of Lake Baikal and the Buryat Republic. You will visit Listvyanka village full of different attractions. The Olkhon Island – the heart of Baikal Lake that inspires and captivates a lot. Another fascinating part of the program is the Buryat Republic with its famous Buddhist temples and the village of Old Believers. This is the region of contrast that will remain in your memory forever.
- Travelling period: July 15-22 2017, August 5-12 2017 available to join a group or any other travel dates as a private tour
- Duration: 8 days • 7 nights
- Route of the tour: Irkutsk - Listvyanka village - Olkhon Island - Ulan-Ude city
Day 1 (July 15 • August 5):
- Arrival in Irkutsk
- 11:00 Meeting with a group and an English-speaking guide at the airport of Irkutsk.
- Attention: please kindly plan your arrival no later than the agreed time, otherwise you will be advised an additional fee for an individual transfer.
- Sightseeing City Tour (3 hours) Get to know the capital of Eastern Siberia - Irkutsk with a visit to its most significant places - the historic center and ancient churches. Transfer to the Hotel. Check-in
Irkutsk is the capital of Eastern Siberia. The city was founded on the banks of the rivers Irkut and Angara in 1661. Early times the burg of Irkutsk was connected with the territory adjacent to the central square of the city - Kirov Square, this is where our fascinating excursion begins. Accompanied by the guide, we will visit the Church of the Savior, the Eternal Flame memorial, the Epiphany Cathedral, the monument to the founders of the city, the monument to St. Peter and Fevronia of Murom, the Moscow Gate, the Kirov Square.
After a walk through the grounds of Irkutsk, we will go to the Znamensky Monastery, where the Decembrist graves and the Shelikhov Monument are located. Near the monastery in the early 21st century a monument to Admiral Kolchak was erected, who was shot near the monastery. In 2015 a great Siberian writer Valentin Rasputin was buried here. The next stop will be in the renovated historical district, which was opened on the occasion of the 350th anniversary of the capital of Eastern Siberia. Visit to the Angara embankment near the monument to Alexander III that was placed in honor of completing the
Day 2 (July 16 • August 6):
Meeting with the guide at 9:30. Check-out. Departure to Olkhon Island (app. 300 km). On the way there will be a stop for lunch. Arrival to the village of Khuzhir. Accommodation at a local hotel. Walk to Cape Burkhan. Free time.
Meeting the guide at 10:00. Departure to the village Listvyanka. On the way, visit the architectural and ethnographic open-air museum "Taltsy". To continue the tour in Listvyanka. Visit Baikal Museum, the observation point “Cherskiy Stone”, the fish and souvenir market, the church of St. Nicholas. Back to Irkutsk.
Excursion to the architectural and ethnographic museum "Taltsy" will give you many impressions. This unique open-air museum is located on the shore of the beautiful Angara River and surrounded by the picturesque Siberian forests. You will visit and walk along the old-times streets and buildings, the real Buryat yurt, the old prison and the parish school. You will discover a different world! The museum exposition includes several complexes of wooden architecture of 17-20 centuries, traditional Buryat yurts, examples of Evenki dwellings and so on. Walking around the museum will take about 1.5 hours.
Listvyanka - a picturesque village, located at the source of the Angara, is considered to be an infrastructure tourist center of Lake Baikal. During your tour around the village, you will visit Baikal museum, go by chair lift to the observation point, see a unique show of Baikal seals, and visit the local market, where different Baikal gifts and souvenirs can be purchased.
The exposition of the Baikal museum will tell you about the history of the Lake Baikal, its flora and fauna. Today, the museum's funds hold about 17 thousand exhibits of Baikal collections.
Day 4 (July 18 • August 8):
Breakfast. Meeting the guide at 9:50. Your day will start with a fascinating journey to the most northern point of the island of Olkhon - Cape Khoboy. The tour will last about 7 hours. During the excursion, you will have a picnic. In the afternoon - return at the hotel. Free time.
This amazing creation of nature is a huge stone slab, a shape reminiscent of the fang of the beast. Time, Baikal winds, fierce frosts and scorching sun left indelible marks on the rocky cliffs of Khoboy. The end of Cape Khoboy is crowned by the rock of Virgo, one of the most famous legends of Olkhon is connected with it. Interesting to note that Khoboy is a "place of power", where a person feels an unprecedented burst of energy soon
Day 5 (July 19 • August 9):
Breakfast. Check-out. Transfer back to Irkutsk. Time at leisure until 20:45. Transfer to railway station for departure to Ulan-Ude.
Day 6 (July 20 / August 10):
Early arrival in Ulan-Ude. Meeting with the guide and transfer for breakfast. City tour. Transfer to the hotel. Check-in. Time at leisure at the hotel. In the afternoon a tour to Tarbagatai, where you will learn about the Old Believers. Dinner at the Old Believers` Guest House. Coming back to Ulan-Ude.
Day 7 (July 21 • August 11):
Meeting with the guide at 09:00. Excursion to the Ivolginsky datsan. Walk around the territory and visit all significant religion building. Visit to the Atsagatsky datsan. In the evening - back to Ulan-Ude.
Ivolginsky datsan - the center of Buddhism in Russia, a large Buddhist monastic complex, a monument of history and architecture. Ivolginsky datsan was opened in 1945. Since the fall of 2002, the most precious shrine - the imperishable body of Hambo-lama Itigelov - has been preserved.
Atsagatsky Datsan in the history of Buryatia - the only temple – the origin of 7 Pandito Hambo Lam. Many outstanding Buddhist leaders known not only in Russia, but also abroad came from that area. The most famous is the educator and theologian - Hambo Lama Aghvan Lobsan Dorzhiev. Initiated the construction of the first in Europe Buddhist temple - the Kalachakra Temple in St. Petersburg.
Day 8 (July 22 • August 12):
Check-out. Transfer to the airport.
- ✓ Accommodation according to the tour program
- ✓ The service of English-speaking guide
- ✓ Sightseeing tour around Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude
- ✓ Entrance tickets to the museum "Taltsy", Baikal museum, tickets to the chair lift
- ✓ Excursion to the cape Khoboy
- ✓ Excursion to the village of Old Believers
- ✓ Excursion to the Ivolginsky datsan
- ✓ Excursion to the Atsagatsky datsan
- ✓ Meals according to the program
- ✓ Air tickets
- ✓ Non-program meals and drinks
- • Check-in at 14:00; Check-out at 12:00
- • Recommended things: comfortable shoes (sneakers, slippers), a windproof jacket, a sweater or sweatshirt, bathing accessories (including a towel), sunglasses, sunscreen, sun protection headgear, any personal medications, if needed. Camera!
- • The travel company reserves the right to change the sequence of visits depending on weather conditions